The Panthers storm back to reclaim BankAtlantic Center in the second period.
Stuck at work and kinda busy - hence the late arrival of this postgame summary - so we're gonna go with the express version. No question though: the Cats made us proud with the effort last night. And can anyone doubt the "hero" status of either David Booth or Michael Frolik? And don't leave Tomas Vokoun out of that mix. Coach DeBoer's got his squad positively swimming in confidence, and the result? Back into eighth place. The trick will be in keeping it up; tomorrow's home date with our old friends from Montreal is yet another tough test.
Special thanks to CLG_74, Stanley C., and Travis Hughes for a spirited live blog last night. Additional kudos to all three for their patience in allowing me to post each and every Whalers-Flyers photo I could locate. Troopers, all.
Rusty Olesz will undergo surgery today on his wonky groin. Hurry back, cuz, like, the team's
played better without missed you.
- David Krejci scored in overtime to lift the Broons over visiting Washington, 3-2. The Caps still received a
loserconsolation point, so everyone went home happy.
- Tampa Bay hosted - and promptly whipped - the Canadiens 5-3, thereby continuing to impress upon the world that the Lightning are determined to avoid John Tavares.
- The Stars' Marty Turco shutout Atlanta 2-0 in Dallas. The Thrashers are leaving no question as to their intent come the draft in June.
- In the division's Big News, Rangers' backup Steve Valiquette closed the door on the Hurricanes with 33 saves in MSG. Carolina limped away bearing the burden of a 3-2 regulation loss, and a slip to ninth place in the East. Wahhh.
TONIGHT IN THE SOUTHEAST
- Nuthin. Which leads us to...
THE RACE FOR EIGHTH...AND BEYOND
- NY Rangers @ Pittsburgh, 7:30p. Wow, no Versus. Is Bettman aware of this? Oh yeah: the Pens currently hold 50 points, two behind our glorious Cats, so this game is a pretty large deal. Suck it up and join me in a rousing chorus of Let's Go Rangers (enthusiasm optional, though W4E discourages it).
- Buffalo @ Calgary, 8p. The Sabres seek to build on the ten goals scored yesterday in Edmonton, setting some dubious record for conquering Alberta. In any case, Florida needs Buffalo to start losing more than they are winning unless DeBoer's troops relish the prospect of a first-round whitewash by Boston.
LITTER BOX LINERS
Palm Beach Bandwagoneer: Rookie's hot hands lift Panthers
Philadelphia Daily News: Flyers start second half of season flat in loss
AP via NHL.com: game recap/stats/video
THE FAR REACHES OF THE BLOGOSPHERE