- "Cohen handcuffs the GMs and doesn't allow them to go after players. This isn't just about the sale of the team, this has been going on for a damn decade."
- "...this is further proof that Cohen has handcuffed this team yet again."
- "I am frustrated beyond belief. I am really starting to believe that Cohen doesnt want to put any quality on the ice. This is complete bull."
- "This franchise would be better run by Leonard Cohen than by Alan Cohen."
- "...what about Matthias/Kreps/Taffe line.. That will counter, NO?"
I'm still of the mindset that Florida is content with their current roster and only a bit of tweaking will be necessary to compete in the division. Whether that means giving the Matthias' and Repik's of the Rochester scene their day to shine, or looting a club who is over the salary cap during training camp, or even yet signing a UFA.
Getting back to the Tanguay thing, the guy is a left wing, who will make a salary reported to be in the $2M range.
Among current Florida left wings, David Booth ($4.25M), Cory Stillman (3.53), Rostislav Olesz (3.13), and Kenndal McArdle (0.85) are the top four on the depth chart (by dollars). Jeff Taffe should probably be included as well (0.55). No one will debate the usefulness of a Tanguay-type, but from a strictly contract-conscious position, who do you bump? Olesz to the fourth line? What NHL club would pay a 4th liner - ANY fourth liner - over three million balloons until 2014? Might be a bargain in the final year, but not even ridiculously ballpark close now.
Just going to have to face the music: improvement must surface from within. For now.
Related: Raw Charge.