This will be a mishmash of thoughts, but that's what the Caterwaul is all about. Onward...
The understandable question on everyone's mind likely is how did freshly-acquired winger Jack Skille fare in his Florida premier? No points, a -1, 2 SOG, 1 blocked-shot, 17:45 TOI, and 10 freaking hits. That's 4 more than Steve Bernier - who in fact did score, on one less shift. Though it was ultimately a losing effort after 64+ minutes of razor-close hockey, the Panthers' led the hits category 51-41; pretty easy determining who was the difference-maker there.
Bernier and David Booth (-2) paced the Cats with 4 SOG apiece. Marty Reasoner was the other goal scorer, while Dennis Wideman picked up 2 assists. Interestingly, Stephen Weiss only took 2 faceoffs, winning both. Tomas Vokoun stopped 24 shots.
Next up: Sharks visit Sunrise on Sunday, hence an early 5pm start. Live Game Thread at 3ish.
- The Cannon looks at the Eastern Conference with staff playoff predictions.
- Rumors and trepidation abound in Rochester dressing room in anticipation of NHL Trade Deadline.
- Our friends in Chicago still think Michael Frolik is a center.
- "I Love Hockey" month rolls on: "Panthers Live" goes, well, live tonight (6pm) at Duffy's in Plantation. Saturday is a somewhat broader affair, spanning three rinks as far north as Palm Beach County (welcome, guys!). All the info here.
- Also, the Florida Panthers Foundation will be running a clothing drive over the next six home games. Further details from the Foundation available at 954-835-7715.
- The OJHL is wrapping their season this weekend, and look who's second in league scoring...playing five fewer games than anyone else in the top-five.
Thanks to Yahoo! Sports' Buzzing The Net for this inspired clip.