Welcome to On the Prowl, a collection of links published each Wednesday and Sunday to stories pertaining to the Florida Panthers, their affiliates, and the National Hockey League. Have at it after the jump...
LBC Community news:
New...we have added an "About Litter Box Cats" space on the lefthand sidebar. This area will steadily grow over time to feature many useful nuggets of information pertaining to the site; for now you will find Community Guidelines (our "consititution" covering rules for proper conduct, terms of service, and the like), FanPosts & FanShots: How-to and Posting Tips (a very helpful resource for composing the finest user-generated content), and Commenting: Tips and Tricks (a guide to utilizing the best of LBC's feedback features). Please do check them out. Big thanks to John for the time and effort involved.
Also...keep your eyes open for an exciting announcement in the next week or so right here at LBC. Can't share any more than that but it's hopefully worth the wait for many of you ;)
Kudos...to Chris Roberts, who positively killed it on Saturday with his coverage of the numerous trades and the Ryan Carter signing yesterday. Outstanding, CR.
Florida Panthers news and analysis:
- Development camp begins this week in Coral Springs; full roster - sans numbers - here (all of the roster players have claimed theirs). More info and coverage of the event to follow throughout the coming days. Panthers
- Looks like the Caps are going to miss Matt Bradley a lot more than we thought. Washington Post
- Sorry David Booth, but this isn't a stat you want to be proud of. KuklasKorner
- The newest Panthers are anything but strangers to each other. CBC.ca
- In case you hadn't yet seen it, our own Derek Zona likes him some Goldie. SB Nation
- Nostalgia aside, Ed Jovanovski still says he has a lot to bring to the team. Palm Beach Post
- Panthers prospect Garrett Wilson cleans up when the Owen Sound Attack hands out their team awards. Owen Sound Sun Times
- The Kurtenblog looks at how awful the Keith Ballard trade was on both sides. Orland Kurtenblog
- Panthers prospect Jonathan Huberdeau was invited to try out for Canada's World Junior team. Telegraph-Journal (St. John, NB)
- Marc at Sunshine State Hockey has discovered yet another reason why we'll miss Kenndal McArdle. SSH
- Steve Eminger returns! Sort of; a wildly unique draft for the Cats via NHL '11. YouTube
- Highland Beach resident Gary Bettman approves of TallonFest, v 2.0. Sun-Sentinel
NHL news and analysis:
- Looks like Nashville's marketing team may be taking some pages out of Yormark's book. Puck Daddy
- Former Panthers forward Mark Parrish joins his ninth organization. Silver Seven
- Great stuff by GR on South Florida's growing ranks of amateur players making a case for the bigs. Miami Herald
- Another new suitor for Dallas may have emerged. Defending Big D
- Can the Hurricanes keep up last year's scoring pace? Canes Country
- Brian Burke has some opinions on the practice of front-loading huge contracts for players. TSN
- Vancouver wins the Alex Sulzer sweepstakes. Nucks Misconduct
- Seems to be a lot of support among Boltophiles for an honest-to-God rivalry vs. Florida (and we agree completely). Raw Charge
- Game Time has an answer to the Blues' ownership troubles. St. Louis Game Time
- Paging Kevin Porter: your arbitration hearing date has been set (and so have a few others). NHLPA
- Dmitry Chesnokov from Puck Daddy has a pretty candid interview with Penguins superstar Evgeni Malkin. Puck Daddy
- Profiled: Plan
A, B,no A for the Avs in the supposed Summer of Vokoun. Mile High Hockey
- Interesting article about what this year's NHL Draft coverage of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Rocco Grimaldi says about society's suspicion of faith. Calgary Herald
- Tanner Glass 2? Local reaction to the Mike Duco for Sergei Shirokov deal. Nucks Misconduct
- The Colorado Avalanche have purportedly signed former Panther Patrick Rissmiller. Mile High Hockey
- The Islanders really, really, need a new barn. Point Blank
- San Antonio wins the AHL's President's Award, which thankfully doesn't carry the unintended consequences of being awarded the NHL version.
- The ECHL Cyclones may have stumbled upon the best informal logo in minor league pucks since this. Oh yeah, that was a formal logo.
- Former Hartford Whalers forward Andrew Cassels was named Assistant Coach of the Cyclones.