Welcome to On the Prowl, a collection of links compiled by LBC and published each Wednesday and Sunday to stories pertaining to the Florida Panthers, their affiliates, and the National Hockey League. Have at it after the jump...
- We've updated our Panthers Twitter Compendium page (lefthand sidebar on main screen) with a nifty scrolling updater-thing which includes all of the previously listed accounts appearing in real-time. Hopefully.
- Voting is now officially open at CBS-Miami for the "Most Valuable Blog" contest. Our collective thanks for the nomination!
- Host network SB Nation got quite the shoutout from Time Magazine this week.
- If all of that isn't enough to get you uber-stoked for LBC's Opening Night Gala of Extravagance and Excess, well, we'll keep at ya...but remaining spots are getting thin as training camp approaches.
Panthers & Affiliates News:
- The club is hosting a Cats Cookout this evening at the BankAtlantic Center; say hi to Chris Wells and, if time permits, Ed Jovanovski (we jest...he'll be there). Panthers
- An overview of the Panthers upcoming rookie camp dates. On Frozen Pond
The BAC is launching a new daily deal site for local businesses: "The Vault". Sun-Sentinel
The Panthers have raised $50,000 for charity led by team president Michael Yormark. Sun-Sentinel
- Rocco Grimaldi has a little fun with his followers on Twitter. Buzzing The Net
- Marc finds himself some quality face time with an Ice Dancer. Sunshine State Hockey
Prospect Logan Shaw (3rd round/2011) gets physical. Cape Breton Post
The NHL and Beyond:
- Nathan Horton's enigmatic presence with the Panthers has been shed (along with his critics) in Boston. Stanley Cup of Chowder
- Canucks fans + Milan Lucic + Stanley Cup in Vancouver = trouble. The Kurtenblog
- The Canadiens have signed former Dallas Star Jeff Woywitka. Montreal Gazette
- After the untimely passing of Rick Rypien, Greg Wyshynski weighs in on the mounting pressure for the NHL to make a decision regarding fighting. Puck Daddy
- Amazingly - from only a few days ago: has the entertainment value of fighting exceeded the concerns of player safety and well-being? Silver Seven
- A rebuttal to Mike Brophy's now-infamous story claiming the ten-best-paid blueliners are not the ten best blueliners. Also...a pretty solid Jokinen/breakfast food graphic we hadn't yet seen. Winging It In Motown
- The Calgary Flames--a new force to be feared? Pro Hockey Talk
- Former Flyer Dan Carcillo lashes out on the Philadelphia sports media. Broad Street Hockey
- Making a case for a non-15th place Edmonton Oilers squad. KuklasKorne
- Lyle sums up our current environment beautifully: "A dire dearth of news in the NHL rumor mill". Spector's Hockey
- Breaking down the U.S. Select team at the Five Nations Tourney. WCH
- Today's schedule of events at Camp Shanny. TSN
- What may or may not be seen at Camp Shanny. Down Goes Brown
- Blah blah DeBoer blah blah. NHL
- Makin' Gretzky's head bleed, redux. YouTube via PD.
- Fantasy: The Scouts have released their 3rd annual Scouting Report & Breakout Bible. FHS
- More Fantasy: Imbeau and Praba present their Top 100 Roto Players (updated for August) via DobberHockey
- Love just keeps on pouring in from The Hockey News...now with video. THN
- On the other hand, RLD likes what they're seeing from Sunrise, as they peruse the Southeast Division. Red Light District
- Though potential Isles netminder Evgeni Nabokov gets the bulk of attention, one-time super-prospect Al Montoya could be in just the right place. Lighthouse Hockey
- Speaking of "Most Valuable Blogs" - this time out of D.C. - how about lending a hand to our pals at Japers' Rink? CBS Washington
Lastly, the Cats present the Final Audition for their 2011-12 Ice Dancers...