SUNRISE, FL - APRIL 2: Jordan Staal #11 of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Michael Santorelli #13 of the Florida Panthers wait for linesman Pierre Champoux #67 to drop the puck on April 2, 2011 at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida. The Penguins defeated the Panthers 4-2. (Photo by Joel Auerbach/Getty Images)
Welcome to On the Prowl, a collection of links from the LBC staff published each Wednesday and Sunday to stories pertaining to the Florida Panthers, their affiliates, and the National Hockey League. Have at it after the jump...
The whole bunch of us have been remarkably busy with work, school, etc. over the past couple of weeks - hence a somewhat abbreviated Link-o-Rama today - but if you're forced into an unintentional sabbatical from hockey, what better time than August?
Now that we're staring directly at Rookie Camp (in 10 days!), the season has just become that much more focused. To claim it's been a long summer is a gross understatement, and we're as nuts to get rolling with actual game talk as are all of you; one can only dissect a lousy power play, break down free agent signings, and sing endless praises to Tallon, Inc. in so many hundreds of different ways before hitting a red brick wall. A hearty welcome to our new bestest buddy: September.
That said, we'll give everyone a break and simply ask those of you new to Planet LBC to check out our Opening Night event at the BankAtlantic Center while riding out the last hours of 2011's final puckless month. - DR
Panthers and Affiliates News:
- It may not be the most efficient way to run a contest, but Florida's FaceBook page needs your vote as the "On The Fly" candidates are down to a final four. Panthers FB
- Blasphemous drivel or a well-reasoned strategy for the short-term future of Jonathan Huberdeau? THN
- More Huby: to smile or not to smile. Calgary Herald
- The latest on Sunshine State Hockey's Panthers-themed 20111-12 fantasy league. SSH
- Florida's captaincy - or rather the vacancy of same - understandably remains a hot topic. Miami Examiner
- The Cyclones sign a pair of forwards. ECHL
- For those with ESPN "insider" accounts, here's the Worldwide Leader's "Summer Skate" series, focusing on the Cats. ESPN
- UFA forward Sergei Samsonov finds pre-camp options may be dwindling. Strang via Twitter
The NHL and Beyond:
- Hanging a nickname on Edmonton's Taylor Hall. The Copper & Blue
- As the title clearly states: "An entirely arbitrary list of losers". National Post
- Congrats to Jose Theodore, who placed highest (96!) among current Cats in Yahoo! Fantasy Hockey's top 100 players. Puck Daddy
- Jonesed! NBC
- The Kings get smart. Very smart. The Province.
- A fabulous look at Atlanta's former hockey fanbase. Raw Charge
- Shock and Awe in Calgary regarding the Daymond Langkow -to-Phoenix deal. Well maybe not "awe". Matchsticks And Gasoline
- Former Cats first-rounder Anthony Stewart is enjoying the Twitter lifestyle. News & Observer
- Another outdoor game. Not a recording. PPP
- The World Junior Club Cup tourney gets underway in Russia. Puck Worlds
- Lastly: yep, it's still August...