For the first time in franchise history, the San Antonio Rampage are heading to the second round with a 3-2 win over the Chicago Wolves. Jacob Markstrom made his return to the net, playing perhaps his best game of his short career. With the series win, the Rampage will face the top-seeded Oklahoma City Barons in the Western Conference Semifinals. Recap and highlights after the jump...
The opening goal came in the second period on the powerplay, with Rampage forward Evan Barlow scoring his first postseason goal. His goal was assisted by defensemen Colby Robak and Alexander Petrovic.
Matt Cullen scored the Rampage's second goal in the third period, giving them a 2-0 lead at 8:00 in the third period. The goal was Cullen's first postseason goal, with James Wright being credited with the lone assist.
The Wolves fought back with two quick goals to tie the game, the first goal coming from defensemen Brad Hunt at 10:34 and the tying goal from Darren Haydar at 18:52, his fourth of the postseason.
In the double overtime, Rampage defensemen Roman Derlyuk scored his first postseason goal off a pass from Jon Matsumoto. Derlyuk's shot was the 37th for the Rampage, 76th of the game.
Markstrom made 37 saves (.949 Sv%) for his third playoff win in as many appearances. Forward Bill Thomas after the game:
Upcoming Schedule (first four, best-of-seven)
- Game One: at OKC, Thu 5/3
- Game Two: at OKC, Sat 5/5
- Game Three: vs OKC, Mon 5/7
- Game Four: vs OKC, Thu 5/10
Panthers CHL Prospect Notes
- Quinton Howden's season with the Moose Jaw Warriors ended with a 4-1 loss to the Edmonton Oil Kings in the WHL Eastern Conference Finals.
- David Pacan and the Niagara IceDogs advance to the OHL Championship, where they will face the London Knights.
- Jonathan Huberdeau and the Saint John Sea Dogs lead the Chicoutimi Saguenéens 3-1 in the QMJHL Semi-finals.