The Carolina Hurricanes are tied with the Winnipeg Jets for first in the Southeast (Canes have two games in hand), but luckily for the Panthers, they are 0-5-0 against the Southeast this season. Carolina is 5-4-1 in their last ten games, and will play a divisional opponent in eight of their 14 games in March.
- Bob McKenzie reports that forward Sean Bergenheim will miss the rest of the season and is expected to have surgery for hip/lower abdominal issues. Bergenheim won his grievance arbitration with Florida, meaning the team must pay him his salary dating back to start of season and medical expenses during lockout as it was determined his injury was suffered prior to lockout.
- George Richards reports that forward Alex Kovalev's time with Florida might be over. The 40 year old veteran is not traveling with the team and does not have a locker stall.
- Richards also reports that both Scottie Upshall and Kris Versteeg could be back tonight. Both forwards are traveling with the team to Raleigh.
- Defensemen Mike Weaver is expected to be out for an extended period of time.
- San Antonio Rampage play their only game of the week tonight, against the Chicago Wolves.
News Around the League:
- Veteran forward (and Hockey God) Teemu Selanne scored his 669th career NHL goal in the Ducks 3-2 win over the Wild. #TeemuForever
- Blackhawks extend their NHL record point streak to 21, with a 4-3 win over the Blue Jackets.
- The Blues rallied with four unanswered goals to defeat the Oilers 4-2.
- Rick DiPietro allowed five goals on 12 shots (in one period) in his debut with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the AHL. The Connecticut Whale went on to win 7-3