A few bullet-points as the Cats prepare to host New Jersey this evening:
- Blueliners Colby Robak and (a finally healthy) Mike Caruso were reassigned to AHL San Antonio Friday but the Rampage were just fine in their absence, roughing up Charlotte 5-2 behind a Jack Combs hat trick and 34 saves by Dov Grumet-Morris. John McFarland and Jon Rheault (his 20th!) also picked up goals in the victory. The clubs close out their season series tonight.
- Sticking with San Antonio, Rampage radio voice Dan Weiss spoke with Mike Santos on a number of topics, including his short-term hopes for Nick Bjugstad, who suddenly has some unexpected time on his hands (and the same could be said for fellow prospect Kyle Rau).
- Corban Knight (plus-1) and Rocco Grimaldi (1A, 7SOG) helped North Dakota defeat Niagara yesterday; UND faces Yale this afternoon at 4 (ESPNU).
- As well, Mike Matheson's BC Eagles take on Union at 9 p.m. (ESPNU).
- Vince Trocheck (5G/7A in 4GP) and the Plymouth Whalers will have to wait until well into next week to kick off their next round of the OHL playoffs.
- Back in the NHL, Jon Cooper made his Big League debut behind the Lightning bench on Friday, eventually guiding Tampa Bay to a come-from-behind 5-4 shootout victory at home over an uncharacteristic Martin Brodeur (16 saves) and the Devils. Brodeur evidently will get the start this evening in Sunrise.
The LBC Live GameThread gets an early launch around 6 or so; before then check out In Lou We Trust for all of your pregame Newark needs. Have a fantastic day, all :)