It's being rumored that Ottawa Senators captain Jason Spezza is on the trade block and could soon be on his way out. Spezza has submitted a list of ten teams he would like to be traded to, and that list so happens to include the Florida Panthers. The question now is, should the Panthers acquire Spezza? Lets look at the pros and cons.
- Spezza would give us the star on offense that us Panther fans so desperately crave. Our leading scorer this year in Nick Bjugstad put up a whopping total of only 38 points in 76 games. Spezza put up 66 points in 75 games. Plus only 3 years ago Spezza put up 84 points in 80 games. Remember this?
- At 6' 3'', 220 pounds Spezza would add even more size up the middle along with Barkov, and Bjugstad. Surely these three would cause tons of trouble for opposing defenses.
- A Spezza acquisition at the draft would give Dale Tallon another selling point, along with Roberto Luongo, to the soon-to-be free agents looking for new homes. Some FA's include, Marian Gaborik, Thomas Vanek, Mike Cammalleri, Ales Hemsky, and Matt Niskanen.
- Jason Spezza would also boost our anemic power play. Spezza posted a total of 22 power play points while Brian Campbell led the Panthers with only 12 points on the PP.
Jason Spezza #19 - Highlights (via Griffsworth)
- Spezza has one year left on his current contract with a cap hit of 7 million so there is no assurance that he will be with any team longer than that. I'm guessing DT would want to be sure he could sign him to an extension before a trade was completed.
- The price to get Spezza could also be steep. Its rumored that the Sens are looking for a good prospect, first round pick, and a player who could help the team now.
- Spezza's point total has decreased a good amount over the past few years. Spezza is still an elite forward in my mind and I think it would do wonders for him to get out of the pressure cooker in Canada. Stats here
Let the debate commence!