#11 / Left Wing / Florida Panthers
May 05, 1980
#24 / Left Wing / Vancouver Canucks
Aug 10, 1980
From the Vancouver Sun:
Hordichuk, who lost his fourth line job with the Canucks, had been waived by the team on Saturday and Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis had pledged to try and find a new NHL home for him.
And there ya go. Does this make Florida deeper at left wing? Not really...compare the salaries (per CapGeek):
Pure salary dump by the cap-strapped Canucks. As to why FLA would take on an additional $300,000 for what is in essence the very same player (similar age and career numbers) is beyond me. In any case Hordichuk - a former Panther - is likely bound for Rochester. But who doesn't love guys with their own websites?
UPDATE: Still confused? Consider GM Dale Tallon's comments from earlier today:
"Darcy is a veteran player who adds a physical presence in our line-up. He is a high character, hard working individual who will play an important role on our club both on and off the ice. We look forward to welcoming him back to South Florida"
Now contrast those words with what he said on August 19th when Peters was signed:
"With the addition of Andrew, we immediately add a physical presence to our line-up. He brings an aggressive style of play and a dimension that our team needed to address this offseason. We look forward to his contributions to our club."
Eerie. So again...what was the point of any of this?
More From Litter Box Cats
- Florida Panthers vs. Carolina Hurricanes: Prospect Showcase Tournament GameThread
- Montreal Canadiens will host the 2022 NHL Entry Draft
- Friday Offseason Caterwaul: Florida Panthers Open Forum
- Walt Disney Company announces 103 exclusive NHL games across its platforms
- Thursday Offseason Caterwaul: Florida Panthers Open Forum
- Announcement: A new commenting system is coming to Litter Box Cats