With the naming of Quebec City and Winnipeg to our "virtual" expansion commitee out of the way, the next vital step is upon us: choosing which Florida Panthers to protect from poaching by our newest league brethren.
When a consensus is reached among Cats fans later in the week, we'll submit our "Protected List" for use during the Expansion Draft to follow soon after. The draft should be a lot of fun to observe, and could prove fascinating to see what type of a market exists - if any - for those Panthers left dangling.
Read on for details...
In essence, make your selections (aka Protected List) and submit them in the comments section. Here's the drill (and big thanks to our pals at Nucks Misconduct for the layman's rundown):
- Teams can protect either 1 goalie, 5 defensemen and 9 forwards OR 2 goalies, 3 defensemen and 7 forwards.
- Each team must leave unprotected at least one defenseman who appeared in 40 games last season OR 70 games in the last two seasons combined.
- Each team must leave unprotected at least two forwards who appeared in 40 games last season OR 70 games in the last two seasons combined.
- Players who have not played 50 NHL games are automatically exempt.
Florida Panthers Roster
And no, Tarnasky and Kreps are not available, while Shawn Matthias should indeed be listed.
A couple of items to keep in mind: contract year info could be of assistance in making a decision (check out CapGeek for that and salary stuff). Obviously, not every player left unprotected will end up being taken, so roll the dice if you so choose (hence my leaving McCabe and Stillman available; chances are slim an expansion club would select them given their salary/upcoming UFA status).
As well, a bundle of these guys haven't yet fullfilled the "50 NHL games" minimum, which makes life a lot easier for us. Lastly, you are not required to utilize the maximum number of players (the Cats aren't exactly stacked to the brim with assets considered untouchable). Onward...
My protected list (and remember, submit your own in the comments; all will be counted):
- F - Booth
- F - Dvorak
- F - Frolik
- F - Matthias
- F - Olesz (commence "rigorous" feedback)
- F - Reinprecht
- F - Weiss
- D - Allen
- D - Kulikov
- D - Wideman
- G - Vokoun
- G - Clemmensen
Let's hear yours, kids...and get 'em in soon.