It's been a busy week for the NHL and all 30 teams, and the Florida Panthers are no exception. With the abbreviated training camp, there's been a lot of call-ups, tryouts, waiving of players and so much more. So, in case you missed some or all of the fresh news out of Panthers camp, here's a quick roundup for everyone.
(For those new to the site, "Caterwauls" are essentially open threads where anything and everything hockey-related can be discussed, so go crazy. Hear something we all should know about? Post it with a link in the comments!)
- Dmitry Kulikov was re-signed to a two year deal (pending a physical likely to be performed today); terms were not disclosed
- Panthers are close to signing Alex Kovalev to a contract; terms are still unknown, though it's rumored to be a one-year deal to be signed at some point today (UPDATE: deal is official, 1 year)
- Mike Santorelli was placed on waivers
- Marek Svatos released from his PTO
- Five players were reassigned to AHL San Antonio: F Drew Shore, F Quinton Howden, F Jon Rheault, D Colby Robak, G Jacob Markstrom
- Head Coach Kevin Dineen will name a captain - the first since Bryan McCabe - at some point over the next 36 or so hours; we likely won't know who it is until gametime on Saturday evening; this could make for a fantastic pregame ceremony: "And finally, your captain, number___, _____ ____ !"
- Florida will need to submit its final roster by 5 PM this afternoon per TSN's Bob McKenzie
The Panthers will hold their last training camp practice today at the BB&T Center (10 a.m.); the practice is open to the public and won't cost you a dime. The Cats will open up the season tomorrow evening in Sunrise against Southeast Division rival Carolina Hurricanes at 7:30PM. We'll have our usual LBC Game Thread fired up and ready to go at 7, so gather up the beverages and join us! We missed you all, and you know you missed us too. Hockey's back!