Florida Panthers (9-9-4 22P) vs Detroit Red Wings (12-8-3 27P)
- WHEN: 2:00 p.m. ET - LBC GameThread right here at 1:30ish
- WHERE: Joe Louis Arena - Detroit, MI
- ON THE TUBE: FOX Sports Florida, FOX Sports Detroit, TVAS, SN
- ON THE DIAL: 560, 640, 760, 1210 (AM); 97.7, 107.9 (FM); Official App (iOS, Android)
- SOCIALLY SPEAKING: #FlaPanthers, #RedWings, #FLAvsDET & if you're feeling generous give us a follow @LitterBoxCats and toss us a "Like" at the LBC FaceBook page
- ENEMY INTEL: Winging It In Motown
- SB NATION: Game Hub
- FLA IN SEASON SERIES: Game 1 of 4 (0-0)
- ALL-TIME vs DET: 10W-14L-5T 2OTL 1SOL 79GF 99GA
- ALL-TIME at DET: 6W-5L-3T 0OTL 1SOL 40GF 48GA
- LAST FIVE vs DET: 3-2-0 15GF 14GA
- PROJECTED STARTERS: Luongo (7-8-3 .922/2.45 1SO), Mrazek (6-4-2 .931/2.21 1SO)
- JAGR WATCH: All-time vs DET (reg season): 36GP 11G-22A 33P 0GWG
- PLAYER STATS: Florida / Detroit
- NOTES: The Cats hold a remarkable 5-0-1 record against the Wings over their past six matches in Detroit stretching back to November of 2009. D Dmitry Kulikov remains officially sidelined but is skating in practice, perhaps a return next week; Dylan Olsen has been recalled from AHL Portland to replace fellow blueliner Alex Petrovic (foot). F Jaromir Jagr is expected to play; he missed the second half of the third frame Friday with a knee issue. The status of F Dave Bolland (scratched the past two games; 1-1 in those games) is unknown as of 9 a.m.
"For me, it was really easy to play with those guys. They communicate so well and their hockey IQ is so good, it would be hard to screw that up."
- Recently promoted to the first line alongside Jagr and Barkov, Panthers F Brandon Pirri echoes our own thoughts (Sun-Sentinel).
Last game for the Cats: Epic 3-2 (SO) victory over the Islanders just 40-something hours ago from Sunrise. Past five: 2-2-1 10GF 13GA (streak: 1W)
Last game for the Wings: 4-3 overtime win at home past Edmonton(!) on Friday. Past five: 3-0-2 14GF 13GA (streak: 1W)
Video: Gallant reflects on Thursday's victory
Jagr will be in the lineup despite leaving a 3-2 shootout victory against the New York Islanders on Friday with 8:39 left in the third period and not returning. "I haven't talked to him [Saturday], but the trainers say he's going to be fine for [Sunday]," coach Gerard Gallant told the Panthers website. Jagr, who leads the Panthers in goals (eight) and points (18), remains one goal behind Marcel Dionne for fourth place on the NHL's all-time list with 731. (More)
Yahoo! Sports Preview:
The Panthers are beginning their five-game trek at Joe Louis Arena, where they've gone 5-0-1 in their last six visits. Each of those games has been decided by one goal or in a shootout. (FLA) won three of four overall against Detroit in 2014-15, but the Red Wings (12-8-3) are 4-0-2 in their last six contests. They opened a six-game homestand with a 3-2 overtime loss to Boston on Wednesday but won 4-3 in the extra period against Edmonton two days later. (More)
Sunday in the Atlantic Division (Standings / Panthers Playoff Chances):
- Cats & Wings are the only game in town - or anywhere else among NHL cities in North America. About this 2 p.m. start, however...what's with that?
- Idle: MON (29P), OTT (29P), BOS (27P), TBL (25P), BUF (20P), TOR (19P)
Panthers, SoFla Media & Loyal Opposition on the Tweets