Icing a roster that should somewhat resemble what we will see in the regular season, the Florida Panthers picked up their third win of the preseason, beating the Dallas Stars 4-2 at American Airlines Center.
The Stars got on the board first, with prospect Mattias Janmark beating Roberto Luongo just 3:28 into the game. Jyrki Jokipakka drew the lone assist on the goal.
Jussi Jokinen replied for the Panthers at the 14:11 mark, with the assists going to Vincent Trocheck and Dmitry Kulikov.
The Cats took the lead midway through the second period when Reilly Smith put the puck past Kari Lehtonen. Trocheck and Calder Trophy-winning defenseman Aaron Ekblad picked up the helpers.
Dallas drew even 4:03 later Radek Faksa set up Travis Moen for an even-strength marker at 15:58.
The game remained tied until the latter part of the third period when Connor Brickley notched his second of the preseason from the oft-injured Quinton Howden.
Jokinen and Kulikov combined to set up Derek MacKenzie empty-net clincher with 17 seconds left in regulation for their second points of the night.
Luongo went the distance, making 20 saves to post the victory. Lehtonen stopped 16 of the 19 Panther shots he faced.
The Cats will get a week of practice in before finishing off the exhibition slate with a home game against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday night..
Odds & Ends
- Vincent Trocheck and Jussi Jokinen lead the club in preseason scoring with 4 points apiece.
- Each team's penalty kill got the best of the opposing power play unit. All six goals came at even strength.
- After a good showing against the Stars five days ago, the Barkov-Jagr-Huberdeau line failed to prodice any points and went a combined -6.
- In addition to bagging the game-winner, Connor Brickley finished with 2 shots and 3 hits. Give this kid a roster spot already.
- Veteran defender Brian Campbell led the Panthers with 21:15 TOI.
- Dallas rookie Mattias Janmark led all players with 5 shots on goal.