Panthers (20-18-8 48P) vs Oilers (24-15-7 55P)
- WHEN: 9:30 p.m. ET - LBC GameThread right here at 9ish
- WHERE: Rogers Place - Edmonton, AB
- ON THE TUBE: FOX Sports Florida, Sportsnet 1
- ON THE DIAL: 560 WQAM, 640 WMEN
- GOODIES: Pro Wrestling Night February 9!
- SOCIALS: #FlaPanthers, #Oilers, #FLAvsEDM, @LitterBoxCats, LBC FaceBook
- ENEMY INTEL: Copper & Blue
- SB NATION: Game Feature Hub
- BACK-TO-BACK? (FLA/EDM): Back/None
- FLA IN SEASON SERIES: Game 1 of 2 (0-0)
- ALL-TIME vs EDM (RS): 10W-10L-3T 1OTL 4SOL 65GF 82GA
- ALL-TIME at EDM (RS): 5W-7L-1T 0OTL 0SOL 28GF 38GA
- LAST FIVE vs EDM (RS): 2-2-1 11GF 14GA
- LAST MEETING: EDM 4, FLA 2 at Sunrise (Kevin’s Recap) - 01/18/2016 (and yes, that date is correct)
- NEXT MEETING (RS): Wednesday 02/22/17 at Sunrise (Tickets)
- PROJECTED STARTERS: Reimer (7-6-3 .916/2.61 0SO) vs Talbot (23-12-6 .918/2.42 3SO)
- TALE OF THE TAPE via Left Wing Lock
- JAGR WATCH: All-time vs EDM (RS): 36GP 16G-24A 40P +15 3GWG
- PLAYER STATS: Florida / Edmonton
The Oilers know that an improved defensive effort is what has led to the three-game streak.
"When we had that skid four or five games ago, we were giving up a lot of goals," said Edmonton rookie defenseman Matthew Benning, whose father, Brian, played for the Oilers in 1992-93.
"I think we're better defensively now, and we're kind of focusing on that. I think that's one thing and, obviously, the scoring has been there."
Benning has been a revelation for the Oilers. Coming straight out of Northeastern University, he played all of two games with Edmonton's American Hockey League affiliate in Bakersfield before taking the role as a regular part of the defensive top six. His emergence has been one of the reasons the Oilers have been able to play so tight defensively. And, according to Benning, each game carries greater importance.
"I think we realize now that the points are so crucial, now," he said. "It's almost playoff hockey, now." (More via Yahoo! Sports/AP)
Last game by the Cats: 5-2 loss at Calgary Tuesday. Last five: 3-2-0 (streak: 1L)
Last game by the Oil: 3-1 home victory over Arizona Monday. Last five: 2-3-0 (streak: 3W)
- Pittsburgh (27-11-5 59P) at MONTREAL (27-12-6 60P), 7:30
- BOSTON (23-19-5 51P) at DETROIT (19-19-6 44P), 8:00 NBCSN
- Idle: TOR (50P), OTT (50P), TB (47P), BUF (43P)
Panthers, SoFla Media & Loyal Opposition on the Tweets