- WHEN: 7:30 p.m. ET - LBC GameThread right here at 7ish
- WHERE: BB&T Center - Sunrise, FL
- ON THE TUBE: FOX Sports Florida, FOX Sports Tennessee
- ON THE DIAL: 560 WQAM, 640 WMEN
- TICKETS: Single Game via the club
- GOODIES: Celebrate Jaromir Jagr Night January 6th vs Nashville Tonight! (details) PanthersPalooza III on January 14! (details)
- SOCIALS: #FlaPanthers, #Preds, #NSHvsFLA, @LitterBoxCats, LBC FaceBook
- ENEMY INTEL: On The Forecheck
- SB NATION: Game Feature Hub
- BACK-TO-BACK? (FLA/NSH): Front/Back
- FLA IN SEASON SERIES: Game 1 of 2 (0-0)
- ALL-TIME vs NSH (RS): 9W-7L-3T 2OTL 3SOL 57GF 61GA
- ALL-TIME vs NSH at FLA (RS): 6W-2L-1T 2OTL 1SOL 34GF 31GA
- LAST FIVE vs NSH (RS): 2-1-2 11GF 16GA
- LAST MEETING: NSH 5, FLA 0 from Sunrise (Todd’s Recap) - 02/13/2016
- NEXT MEETING (RS): Saturday, 02/11/17
- PROJECTED STARTERS: Luongo (11-10-5 .918/2.48 0SO), Rinne (14-10-6 .918/2.45 1SO)
- TALE OF THE TAPE via Left Wing Lock
- JAGR WATCH: All-time vs NSH (RS): 21GP 7G-17A 24P +4 1GWG
- PLAYER STATS: Florida / Nashville
The "December Doldrums" affected Roberto Luongo of the Florida Panthers and Pekka Rinne of the Nashville Predators.
Both goalies were excellent in November as Rinne, 34, had a 1.49 goals-against average and a .949 save percentage and Luongo, 37, was 1.96, .939.
But then came December, and Rinne was brutal (3.44, .875). Luongo wasn't much better in December (2.88, .906), and his January got off to a poor start when he allowed four goals in a 4-1 loss to the visiting Winnipeg Jets on Wednesday.
The Jets were the less-rested team in that game, having played Tuesday in Tampa Bay, but still got through to Luongo.
"We needed the rest," Panthers interim coach Tom Rowe said of his team, who had been off since Saturday. "But we didn't take advantage."
The Panthers (16-15-8) get another chance to take advantage of a less-rested team Friday when they host the Predators, who routed the Tampa Bay Lightning 6-1 on Thursday with only 19 shots on goal.
Rinne got the win Thursday, making 27 saves as he looks to turn things around in January.
Luongo is extra motivated to win Friday because he has been stuck on 447 career wins for three straight games. If he gets one more win, he will pass Terry Sawchuk for fifth place on the NHL's career victories list. (More via Yahoo! Sports/AP)
Last game by the Cats: 4-1 home loss to Winny on Wednesday. Last five: 1-1-3 (streak: 1L)
Last game by the Preds: 6-1 laugher over Bolts in Tampa. Last five: 2-1-2 (streak: 1W)
- TORONTO (17-12-8 42P) at New Jersey (16-16-7 39P), 7:30
- Idle: MON (54P), OTT (44P), TB (42P), DET (39P), BUF (37P)
Panthers, SoFla Media & Loyal Opposition on the Tweets