The Florida Panthers remain until Thursday night’s homie against the 3-0 St. Louis Blues at the BB&T Center.
As far as help in the early season standings go, it was a good news, bad news situation for the Cats concerning Monday night’s games.
In the good news department, Buffalo and Boston both suffered losses in regulation with the Sabres getting blown 6-2 by the New Jersey and the Bruins getting blanked 4-0 on home ice by Colorado.
The bad news saw the Tampa Bay Lightning rally for 4-3 overtime win over Washington and the Toronto Maple Leafs comeback on Chicago for an overtime win by the same score. Auston Matthews scored the decisive goal in the extra session.
Florida will practice at 11 a.m. this morning at Panthers IceDen in Coral Springs.
One sentence recaps
• Avalanche 4, Bruins 0: Nail Yakupov's two goals and Semyon Varlamov's 29 saves helped shutout Boston, remarkably.
• Blues 3, Islanders 2 (SO): Two goals and the shootout clincher were just another day at the office for Vladimir Tarasenko.
• Devils 6, Sabres 2: Buffalo remains winless and the Devils stay unbeaten in an offensive showing to remember.
• Maple Leafs 4, Blackhawks 3 (OT): You can't stop Auston Matthews, not even in overtime.
• Lightning 4, Capitals 3 (OT): The Capitals started fast, but lightning struck one too many times.
• Jets 5, Oilers 2: Nikolaj Ehlers became the millionth NHLer to score a hat trick in this short season.