Panthers (31-28-11 73P) vs Penguins (44-17-9 97P)
- WHEN: 1 p.m. ET - LBC GameThread right here at 12:30ish
- WHERE: PPG Paints Arena - Pittsburgh, PA
- ON THE TUBE: FOX Sports Florida, ROOT
- ON THE DIAL: 560 WQAM, 640 WMEN
- SOCIALS: #FlaPanthers, #Pens, #FLAvsPIT, @LitterBoxCats, LBC FaceBook
- ENEMY INTEL: Pensburgh
- SB NATION: Game Feature Hub
- BACK-TO-BACK? (FLA/PIT): None/None
- FLA IN SEASON SERIES: Game 3 of 3 (0-2-0)
- ALL-TIME vs PIT (RS): 36W-36L-40T 7TL 4SOL 240GF 249GA
- ALL-TIME at PIT (RS): 13W-19L-3T 4OTL 4SOL 113GF 131GA
- LAST FIVE vs PIT (RS): 1-2-2 9GF 15GA
- LAST MEETING: PIT 5 at FLA 1 - (Todd’s Recap) - 12/08/2016
- NEXT MEETING (RS): 2017-18 season
- PROJECTED STARTERS: Reimer (14-13-5 .918/2.59 0SO) vs Fleury (17-8-6 .909/3.03 0SO)
- TALE OF THE TAPE via Left Wing Lock
- PLAYER STATS: Florida / Pittsburgh
Scouting Report: Pittsburgh will still be without seven injured players, including top defenseman Kris Letang (upper body), against Florida. None are practicing at full capacity, and most aren't practicing at all.
Coach Mike Sullivan did not scold [Evgeni] Malkin for, in the heat of a game, taking a risk by sacrificing his body to block a shot.
"This game is an instinctive game," Sullivan said. "Players are going to make decisions in fractions of a second, and they're going to make decisions that they think are going to help us win. Certainly we don't want to see (Malkin) get hurt or any of our guys, for that matter but the nature of the game is that it's a belligerent game, and we all run that risk every time we lace up our skates."
While the Penguins have remained in contention for the Metropolitan Division title and the Presidents' Trophy despite the rash of injuries, Florida (31-28-11) has a steep path to a possible playoff spot. That makes the Panthers a dangerous opponent.
"It is a bit of a challenge when you're playing teams that are out of the playoffs because they tend to be a little bit more loose and tend to be a little bit more run-and-gun and don't necessarily care that much what they give up but are trying to score goals," Pittsburgh defenseman Ian Cole said. "That tends to be a little bit more dangerous, I think." (More via AP)
Last action from the Cats: 4-3 (SO) victory at MSG Friday. Past five: 2-3-0 (streak: 1W)
Last action from the Pens: 6-4 home win over New Jersey Friday. Past five: 3-1-1 (streak: 1W)
- OTTAWA (39-23-8 86P) at MONTREAL (40-23-8 88P), 7:30
- Idle: BOS (82P), TOR (79P), TB (77P), BUF (70), DET (67P)
Panthers, SoFla Media & Loyal Opposition on the Tweets