The Springfield Thunderbirds routed the Bridgeport Sound Tigers and split a back-to-back with the Providence Bruins to finish the 2018-19 AHL season with a 33-29-9-5 record. Springfield’s 80 points was good for seventh place in the Atlantic Division. The Thunderbirds finished seven points behind the fourth place Providence Bruins.
On Friday, the T-Birds routed the Bridgeport Sound Tigers by a 7-2 count. Jean-Sebastien Dea, Matt Mangene, Ludwig Bystrom, Paul Thompson, Anthony Greco, Jacob MacDonald and Juho Lammikko scored the goals. Assists went to MacDonald (2), Adam Rockwood (2), Thompson, Jonathan Ang, Greco, Blaine Byron, Dea and Julian Melchiori. Chris Driedger made 22 saves to get the win.
The playoff bound P-Bruins bested the Thunderbirds 5-3 in Springfield’s home finale on Saturday. Juho Lammikko, Bobby Farnham and Anthony Greco lit the lamp for the T-Birds. Greco’s goal was his 30th of the season. Assists went to Dryden Hunt, Greco, Matt Mangene, Thomas Schemitsch and Alex Breton. Trent Frederic registered a hat trick for Providence. Sam Montembeault took the loss, finishing with 35 saves on 39 shots. Montembeault finished the season with a 13-16-9 record, 3.24 GAA and .899 save percentage.
In Sunday’s season finale, the visiting Thunderbirds routed the P-Bruins 6-1 to finish the campaign on a winning note, Alex Breton scored twice and Jayce Hawryluk, Dryden Hunt, Thomas Schemitsch, who added three assists, and Juho Lammikko also found the back of the net. Helpers were collected by Adam Rockwood, Julian Melchiori, Dylan MacPherson, Liam Pecararo, Jean-Sebastien Dea, Jacob MacDonald, Hawryluk and Hunt. Chris Driedger stopped 39 shots to finish the season with an 18-10-3 record, 2.45 GAA and .924 save percentage.
Anthony Greco led the club in goals with 30 and points with 59. Harry Zolnierczyk led the team with 26 assists.
Sunday’s NHL Playoff results
- New York Islanders 4, Pittsburgh Penguins 1 (Islanders lead series 3-0)
- Columbus Blue Jackets 3, Tampa Bay Lightning 1 (Blue Jackets lead series 3-0)
- Winnipeg Jets 6, St. Louis Blues 3 (Blues lead series 2-1)
- Vegas Golden Knights 6, San Jose Sharks 3 (Golden Knights lead series 2-1)
- Boston at Toronto 7 p.m. NBCSN (Series tied 1-1)
- Washington at Carolina 7 p.m. CNBC (Capitals lead series 2-0)
- Nashville at Dallas 9:30 p.m. NBCSN (Series tied 1-1)
- Calgary at Colorado 7 p.m. CNBC (Series tied 1-1)