Brandon Carlo scored the tiebreaking goal with 2:37 left in the third period, and the Boston Bruins bounced back from a three-goal deficit to post a 5-3 road win over the Washington Capitals. Washington’s defeat left the Florida Panthers (5-0-1) as the only team left in the NHL without a loss in regulation.
In the only action from the Discover Central Division, the Tampa Bay Lightning bested the Panthers next opponent, the Nashville Predators by a 5-2 count, thanks to a goal and an assist from Steven Stamkos and a 26-save performance by Andrei Vasilevskiy. The Lightning are now 5-1-1 while the Predators fell to 4-5.
Missed in the Panthers busy weekend was the Syracuse Crunch’s 7-5 AHL exhibition loss to the host Utica Comets on Friday. Grigori Denisenko scored a goal and added an assist, Chase Priskie recorded three assists, and Brady Keeper and John Ludvig collected helpers. Samuel Montembeault got the start in goal. The Crunch and Comets will face off in the regular season opener on Saturday, February 6 at 7 p.m. in Syracuse.
- Freshman forward Ty Smilanic has produced 11 goals and 3 assists in 18 games for Quinnipiac. Smilanic has totaled 3 game-winning goals, 46 shots, 5 blocks, 6 PIM and has a +1 rating. The 19-year-old is tied for fourth in the nation in goals.
- Senior forward Logan Hutsko has produced 4 goals and 7 assists in 10 games for Boston College. Hutsko has collected 34 shots, 10 PIM and has a +10 rating.
- Sophomore Spencer Knight has posted a 8-0-1 record for the Eagles. He sports a 1.87 GAA, .945 save percentage and two shutouts.
- Freshman defenseman Mike Benning has produced 1 goal and 7 assists in 13 games for Denver. Benning has totaled 22 shots, 11 blocks, 6 PIM and has a -2 rating.
- Sophomore defenseman Zach Uens has produced 1 goal and 3 assists in 8 games for Merrimack. Uens has totaled 13 shots, 11 blocks, 2 PIM and has a +3 rating.
- Sophomore defenseman Carter Berger has produced 5 assists in 13 games for Connecticut. Berger has totaled 21 shots, 3 blocks, 6 PIM and sports a +2 rating.
- Sophomore center Owen Lindmark has produced 3 goals and 8 assists in 18 games for Wisconsin. Lindmark has totaled 24 shots, 27 blocks, 4 PIM and has a +1 rating. Two of his three goals have come shorthanded.
- Senior defenseman Tyler Inamoto has produced 1 goal and 5 assists in 16 games for the Badgers. Inamoto has totaled 30 shots, 11 blocks, 6 PIM and has a +5 rating.
- Junior defenseman Cole Krygier has produced 2 goals in 16 games for Michigan State. Krygier has totaled 26 shots, 15 blocks, 23 PIM and has a -5 rating.
- Freshman goaltender Devon Levi has yet to play for Northeastern after suffering a broken rib during the World Junior Championship.