Panthers (30-13-5 65P) vs Hurricanes (31-10-5 67P)
- WHEN: 7:00 p.m. ET
- WHERE: BB&T Center, Sunrise, FL
- ON THE TUBE: Bally Sports Florida, Bally Sports South
- ON THE DIAL: 560 WQAM (D/B), 640 WMEN (PB), 1370 WAXE (TC), Thunder 100.3 (Keys)
- SOCIALS: #FlaPanthers, #LetsGoCanes, #CARvsFLA, @LitterBoxCats, LBC FaceBook
- ENEMY INTEL: Canes Country
- FLA IN SEASON SERIES: Game 8 of 8 (1-4-2)
- LAST MEETING: CAR 4, @FLA 2 - (Recap) - 4/22/2021
- NEXT MEETING: Playoffs or 2021-22
- PROJECTED STARTERS: Driedger (12-5-3 .927/ 2.09 2SO) vs Nedeljkovic (12-4-2 .933/ 1.87 3SO)
- PLAYER STATS: Florida / Carolina
The Carolina Hurricanes were able to pick up a big win on Thursday in a 4-2 win over the Florida Panthers to break the tie and take sole possession of first place in the Central Division. This extended Carolina’s point streak to five games and also gave them their sixth straight win over Florida this season. In a game where the Hurricanes gave the Panthers nine power play opportunities, their penalty kill unit stepped up by only allowing one goal while Sebastian Aho was able to net two shorthanded goals for the Hurricanes. Alex Nedeljkovic was tremendous in the crease for Carolina as he picked up his fourth straight win to improve to 12-4-2 on the year. Nedeljkovic is only allowing an average of 1.87 goals this season with a .933 save percentage. Carolina controls their own destiny as they fight for first place in the division with a two-point lead over Florida with two games in hand.
The Panthers had their three-game winning streak snapped by the Hurricanes in a game that was theirs for the taking. They currently rank thirteenth in the league with a 20.8 percent success rate on the power play, but they certainly failed to show up on Thursday. When a good team like the Hurricanes give you nine power play opportunities, you must take advantage of more than one in order to win. Aleksander Barkov scored both goals for the Panthers which gives him a team leading 21 goals on the year and also marks the sixth straight season with at least 20 goals. It’s hard to pick against Carolina who has had Florida’s number this season, going 6-0-1 against them. Look for that trend to continue as the Hurricanes should come away with another win in their last matchup against the Panthers this season.
Full preview at Pickswise
- DALLAS (19-15-12 50P) at DETROIT (17-25-7 41P) 7 p.m.
Idle: TBL (64P), NSH (54P), CHI (49P), CLS (39P)
Panthers, SoFla Media & Loyal Opposition on the Tweets