AHL: Rampage Drop Seventh-Straight, Fall 3-2 In Marathon Shootout
San Antonio continue to have issues closing out games, and falls in a 11-round shootout against the Abbotsford Heat.
San Antonio has lost fourth straight consecutive third period leads, but the big story tonight was in the second period. Abbotsford Heat goaltender Barry Brust set an AHL milestone for longest shutout streak at 268: 51 minutes, breaking a 55 year milestone held by Hall of Famer Johnny Bower. The streak ended with a James Wright powerplay goal, tying the game. Quinton Howden gave San Antonio the lead almost two minutes later, but Abbotsford tied the game in the final minute of the third.
No goals were scored in the overtime, but Jon Rheault and James Wright scored the first shootout goals of the season for the silver and black. However Abbotsford skated away with three shootout goals and the win.
- Jacob Markstrom: Another game, another quality start (a save percentage over .912 or a save percentage between .885 and .912 while allowing less than three goals). Markstrom stopped 30 shots (.937 Sv%), and almost had his first win since November 2nd.
- James Wright: "Killer" (pictured above with Tampa Bay) may have had only one shot, which resulted in a goal, but his work ethic was present all game. He also had an assist on the Howden goal, his first multiple-point game since last season (also against Abbotsford).
- Greg Rallo: Lead all skaters with six shots on net. Didn't have much penalty kill time (only two penalties against), but still an impressive feat from one the veterans.
- Drew Shore: One shot on goal, four in his last three games. Shore is the best skating prospect on the Rampage roster, and tied for the lead in scoring.
- First Period: Only three shots on net for boys in silver and black, and more embarrassing was that they had two powerplays that period!
Weekend home stand ends on Sunday against the Texas Stars. Game starts at 4:30 pm EST.