Thursday Caterwaul: Panthers Open Forum
Cullen in November, 2011; photo by Darren Abate/PressPhotoIntl.com
Rampage forward Mark Cullen remains tied atop the AHL Calder Cup leaderboard with a three-game point streak (3G/2A) which originated in the second-round opener on May 3. As fate has so far determined - or timely scoring, more accurately - Oklahoma City currently sports its own presence on the list: both Josh Green (4G/1A) and Mark Arcobello (3/2) share the streak with Cullen. With regard to overall scoring, Jon Matsumoto is second in the league with 12 points (4G/8A); a six-game streak was busted last Saturday, which remains his only scoreless appearance of the postseason. San Antonio (1-2) hosts the Barons in Game Four tonight at 8 p.m. ET.
Wednesday's NHL Result
- (7) Washington over (1) NY Rangers, 2-1 (REG): less than 1:30 into the game Alex Ovechkin set a relentless tone for his club with a power play goal, and the first of Nick Backstrom's 2 assists. Braden Holtby stopped a rather pedestrian 30 shots - surrendering the lone New York goal to Marian Gaborik in the final minute of regulation. Local reaction from Japers' Rink and Blueshirt Banter. Game Seven is Saturday from Madison Square Garden./
Tonight's AHL Playoff Action
- Oklahoma City Barons (EDM) at San Antonio Rampage (FLA), 8 p.m. ET: Game Four; media links and open thread right here at 7:30/
Florida Panthers in 2012 IIHF WHC
- Wednesday: Tomas Kopecky scored twice for Slovakia in 4-2 win over Kazakhstan. Germany's Marcel Goc had a rough outing (6-for-18 on faceoffs, 1 third period SOG, minus-1, and a hooking penalty) in a 5-2 loss to Sweden.
- Today: Neither team is scheduled; both off until Saturday
Around the Den
- The first
Cats Cookout"Big Red BBQ" of the summer has been scheduled for Tuesday, May 22 at the BankAtlantic Center; details from the club here.
- A major ingredient in San Antonio's recent power play dominance? Look no further than blueliner Alex Petrovic (Charshafian/AHL)
- Confidence remains high in the Rampage dressing room heading into Game Four (Uminski/MySA.com)
- Age and production: is Stephen Weiss a "comparable" to Edmonton's Sam Gagner? (Zona/Copper&Blue)
- Jonathan Huberdeau recorded an assist in his return from suspension Wednesday as Saint John defeated host Rimouski 6-4. Sea Dogs (15-1!) can wrap up QMJHL President's Cup Championship with a Game Four victory this evening.
And the Obligatory Feel-Good Postgame Presser by Torts...