GameDay Caterwaul: Florida Panthers at Los Angeles Kings
Cats go for four in a row (again) as troublesome Kings look for season sweep
Panthers (26-20-10 62P) at Kings 28-24-4 60P)
- WHEN: 10 p.m. ET - LBC GameThread right here at 9:30ish
- WHERE: Staples Center - Los Angeles, CA
- ON THE TUBE: FOX Sports Florida, FOX Sports West
- ON THE DIAL: 560 WQAM, 640 WMEN
- GOODIES: Super Hero Night Feb 22! Faith and Family/UCF/Hockey ‘n Heels Night Feb 24!
- SOCIALS: #FlaPanthers, #LAKings, #FLAvsLAK, @LitterBoxCats, LBC FaceBook
- ENEMY INTEL: Jewels From The Crown, Battle of California
- SB NATION: Game Feature Hub
- BACK-TO-BACK? (FLA/LA): Back/Front
- FLA IN SEASON SERIES: Game 2 of 2 (0-1-0)
- ALL-TIME vs LA (RS): 10W-17L-3T 0OTL 1SOL 74GF 91GA
- ALL-TIME at LA (RS): 4W-12L-0T 0OTL 0SOL 38GF 51GA
- LAST FIVE vs LA (RS): 1-4-0 10GF 20GA
- LAST MEETING: SJ 6 - FLA 3 at Sunrise (Todd’s Recap) - 02/09/2017
- NEXT MEETING (RS): 2017-18 season
- PROJECTED STARTERS: Luongo (15-14-6 .914/2.71 1SO) vs Budaj (26-17-3 .915/2.15 7SO)
- TALE OF THE TAPE via Left Wing Lock
- JAGR WATCH: All-time vs LA (RS): 33GP 13G-19A 32P -7 5GWG
- PLAYER STATS: Florida / Los Angeles/
Not only are the Panthers surging at the right time, they have more than $9 million in space under the NHL salary cap to work with, according to capfriendly.com.
"The goal is to be buying," president of hockey operations Dale Tallon told NHL.com in a phone interview Saturday. "I like where we're at, but I'd like to add some offense to get our power play going."
The Panthers entered their game Saturday at the Los Angeles Kings with a success rate of 15.2 percent on the power play, 28th in the NHL. However, Florida has scored on three of its 11 opportunities during the three-game winning streak.
The return of forward Jonathan Huberdeau on Feb. 3 after a season-long absence because of an Achilles tendon injury made the Panthers fully healthy for the first time this season.
"I like our team, we've been waiting for [a healthy roster] for a long time," Tallon said. "Jonathan's made an extraordinary recovery." (More trade deadline talk from NHL.com)
Last action from the Cats: 4-1 victory in Anaheim 24 hours ago. Past five: 4-1-0 (streak: 3W)
Last action from the Kings: 5-3 loss at Glendale Thursday. Past five: 2-3-0 (streak: 1L)
Saturday in the Atlantic Division (Standings/Panthers Playoff Chances):
- St Louis (31-23-5 67P) at BUFFALO (24-23-10 58P), 1:00
- Washington (39-11-6 84P) at DETROIT (22-25-10 54P), 1:30
- Winnipeg (26-29-5 57P) at MONTREAL (31-19-8 70P), 1:30
- OTTAWA (30-19-6 66P) at TORONTO (26-19-11 63P), 7:00
- TAMPA BAY (25-24-7 57P) at Dallas (22-27-10 54P), 8:00
- Idle: BOS (64P)/
Panthers, SoFla Media & Loyal Opposition on the TweetsA Twitter List by LitterBoxCats