Panthers' Divisionally Speaking for Thursday
(updated 2.5.2009 at 12:30 PM EST)
A quiet night on Wednesday, with only one Southeast club in play, but oh what consequences it would have on the conference.
- Evgeny Malkin's three points (2g, 1a) led the host Penguins over Tampa Bay 4-3 in overtime. What does this mean to the Cats? Pittsburgh gains a colossally valuable two points to pull even with Carolina, both one point behind eighth-place Florida in the East. Thanks a bundle, Geno.
Alas, there's more chilling news from within the conference.
- Thomas Vanek's natural hat trick led Buffalo in a pasting of the visiting Maple Leafs 5-0. Ryan Miller had the shutout for the Sabres. Buffalo regains their three-point lead over the Panthers./
And a glimmer of hope?
- Host Philadelphia gave the Broons all the room they needed, handing Boston a 3-1 win. The Flyers hold tenuously to the sixth spot with 61 points, five ahead of the Cats./
Aside from Florida, two other division rivals take to the ice this evening.
- Los Angeles @ Washington, 7p. Blah, blah, blah.
- Carolina @ San Jose, 10:30p. Only 22-points separate these teams. Should be a nail-biter. Go Sharks./