Thursday Recap: Florida Panthers at the IIHF World Championship, Day Seven
Brian Campbell and Canada cruised by Sweden in today's action at the Worlds.
Brian Campbell (pictured in Panthers gear) assisted on a first period power-play goal by Steven Stamkos to help propel Canada to a convincing 3-0 win over Sweden today in Stockholm. The Florida Panthers defender had three shots on goal and finished with a +1 rating while logging 16:48 minutes of ice time. Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith posted the 33 save shutout. Luke Schenn and Jordan Staal scored the other goals for Canada. Jacob Markstrom relieved Buffalo's Jhonas Enroth, who made 22 saves while taking the loss for the tournament co-hosts, with 9:12 remaining in the third period. Markstrom turned aside both of the shots he faced.
Tomas Fleischmann failed to register a point for the fourth-straight game as the Czech Republic slipped by Denmark 2-1 in a shootout today in Stockholm. The Florida forward fired one shot on goal while logging 11:31 minutes of ice time. Flash, who was demoted to fourth line duty, finished the game with an even rating. Zbynek Michalek scored to put the Czechs ahead in the second period before Morten Poulsen replied for Denmark to tie the game early in the third period. Zbynek Irgl scored in the fifth round of the shootout to extend the game and again in the sixth round to provide the Czechs with the advantage. Ondrej Pavelec stopped Denmark's Julian Jakobsen to finally give the favored Czech Republic the win.
Tomas Kopecky went scoreless in Slovakia's 5-3 loss to Latvia today in a game played in Helsinki. The veteran Cats forward fired two shots on goal and finished with a -2 rating while logging of 13:22 ice time. Kopecky took four faceoffs and lost them all. Lauris Darzins notched a hat trick, including a penalty shot goal in the first period, to power the Latvians to the upset victory. Kristers Gudlevskis made 24 saves to post the win.
Thursday's Preliminary Round/Day Seven Results
- Czech Republic (Fleischmann: 0Pts, even, 1SOG) over Denmark, 2-1 (SO)
- Latvia over Slovakia (Kopecky: 0Pts, -2, 2SOG), 5-3
- Canada (Campbell: 1Pts, +1, 3SOG) over Sweden (Markstrom: 2SA 2SV ), 3-0
Tournament Stats Among Panthers Participants (through 05/09/13)
- Nick Bjugstad, F (USA): 4GP 2A 2Pts +1 1SOG
- Brian Campbell, D (CAN): 4GP 1Pts +7 12SOG
- Tomas Fleischmann, F (CZE): 4GP 0Pts -1 5SOG
- Marcel Goc, F (GER): 4GP 3A 3Pts -4 7SOG
- Tomas Kopecky, F (SVK): 4GP 1A 1Pts -1 7SOG
- Jacob Markstrom, G (SWE): 3GP 46SA 43SV 1-1-0
Friday's Preliminary Round Matches (IIHF Website and live scoring)
- Slovakia (Kopecky) vs Austria, 9:15 am
- Czech Republic (Fleischmann) vs Slovenia 10:15 am
- Canada (Campbell) vs Belarus, 2:15 pm