GameDay Caterwaul: Florida Panthers vs Pittsburgh Penguins
Cats open 2021-22 season with high expectations
Panthers (0-0-0 0P) vs Penguins (1-0-0 2P)
- WHEN: 7:00 p.m. ET
- WHERE: FLA Live Arena, Sunrise, FL
- ON THE TUBE: Bally Sports Florida, ATTNS-Pittsburgh
- ON THE DIAL: 560 WQAM (D/B), 640 WMEN (PB), Thunder 100.3 (Keys)
- SOCIALS: #TimeToHunt, #LetsGoPens, #PITvsFLA, @LitterBoxCats, LBC FaceBook
- ENEMY INTEL: PensBurgh
- FLA IN SEASON SERIES: First Meeting
- LAST MEETING: PIT 3, @FLA 2 - (Recap) 2/8/2020
- NEXT MEETING: November 11, 2021
- PROJECTED STARTERS: Bobrovsky vs Jarry (1-0-0 .929 / 2.00 0SO)
- PLAYER STATS: Florida / Pittsburgh/
Scouting Report (courtesy of Winners & Whiners)
The Pittsburgh Penguins had another solid season last year as they finished tied with the Capitals for first place in the East Division. The season came to a screeching halt when they lost to the Islanders in six games in the first round of the playoffs. Pittsburgh has high hopes of another run this year and they got off to a good start by beating Tampa Bay on the road 6-2. Now they will look to complete the Florida two-step with a win over a solid Panthers team. Pittsburgh was 2nd in the league in scoring last year and it looks like the offense will be strong again, but we do have to note that three of the goals they scored were empty-netters. Six different players scored for the Pens in the win, but none were by Sidney Crosby, Jake Guentzel, and Evgeni Malkin, who are all currently out with injuries or illness.
The Florida Panthers finished 2nd in the Central Division last year, but just like the Penguins, they were bounced in the first round of the playoffs. It was the first time that Florida made the postseason since 2015/16. This year, they are armed with a dangerous offense and an improved defense and are looking to take the next step. On offense, they have Aleksander Barkov (26 goals) and Jonathan Huberdeau (61 points) to lead the team, plus have now added Sam Reinhart, who scored at least 22 goals in each of his last four seasons for the Buffalo Sabres. He had 25 goals last year. Florida finished 4th in the league in scoring last year and they could finish even higher this year.
Thursday in the Atlantic (Standings/Panthers Playoff Chances):
- TORONTO (1-0-0 2P) at OTTAWA (0-0-0 0P) 7 p.m.
- MONTREAL (0-1-0 0P) at BUFFALO (0-0-0 0P) 7 p.m.
- TAMPA BAY (0-1-0 0P) at DETROIT (0-0-0 0P) 7:30 p.m./
Idle: BOS (0P)
Panthers, SoFla Media & Loyal Opposition on the TweetsA Twitter List by LitterBoxCats